CWB Update - July 2017
Key Highlights This Month:
- DHS developed a Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities (PRTF) educational tool. The tool integrates standards and regulations under MN Rule 2960 Variance for PRTF and Federal regulations. DHS will be working with license holders to apply for the variance. Once PRTF awardees are announced DHS licensing will reach out to providers. A copy of the tool is attached.
- Effective 8/1/17, DHS is responsible for investigating child maltreatment allegations in juvenile correctional facilities.
- Legislative Child Protection Task Force reconvened on June 27. (http://www.lcc.leg.mn/tfcp/). Likely priority will be re-codifying of 626.556.
- SAMHSA System of Care Grant awarded to MN. 12 million over next four years.
- Collaborative Safety Forum planned for July MACSSA meeting.
Requested Actions Needed From MACSSA:
Quality Parenting Initiative (QPI) presentation at a forum in August.
New Trends in This Area:
Issues/Concerns Regarding This Topic:
Office of Legislative Auditor (OLA) currently conducting a study of the GAL program (See link to background paper below)
- Educational Bill includes new money for childcare scholarships. Children in the CW system identified as a priority population for these scholarships. DHS is working with Department of Education to develop process for how scholarships can be accessed and what the application process will be.
- Safe Harbor for sexually exploited youth funding: $1.1 million (FY18-19); 1.1m (FY20-21) for services through DHS
- Child welfare services for sexually exploited youth: $150K (FY18-19); $142K(FY20-21)
- Foster Care Re-Entry for 18-21 year olds: $81K(FY 18-19); $85K (FY 20-21) in Northstar grants. Money allocated for state only-local cost share is 83% of non-federal funds. Cost to counties estimated to be $200K/year statewide.
- Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facilities (PRTF) Educational Tool
- OLA –Guardians Ad Litem Topic Selection Background Paper: website