CWB Update - September 2017
Key Highlights This Month:
- Quality Parenting Initiative (QPI) kick-off event is scheduled for Oct. 24 (9 a.m.-3 p.m.) and 25 (9 a.m.-3 p.m.)at the Wellstone Center in St. Paul. Invitation attached (Registration link currently not working but it is being worked on).
- MN’s Best Practice Guide for Responding to Prenatal Exposure to Substance Use was released in August. Bulletin is attached.
- MACSSA Forum on the System of Care grant scheduled for September.
- Workgroup meeting on Public Disclosure for Child Fatalities is being held on 9/15/17. MACSSA has eight representatives participating on this workgroup.
- Legislative Task Force on Child Protection scheduled to meet on Oct. 3.
- Results First forum completed in August. This is bipartisan provision that was enacted in 2015 to implement an evidence-based policy framework. A request was made for MACSSA representation on a workgroup to help shape Results First’s project for child welfare. First meeting scheduled for Sept. 21.
- Collaborative Safety presentation scheduled at the MACSSA fall conference.
Requested Actions Needed From MACSSA:
New Trends in This Area:
- SSIS Child Protection redesign on the latest SSIS version-V17.3 changes. The child maltreatment report for CP screening was revised. The learning curve has been high but there have been limited issues and some counties reporting it is working smoothly and the revisions help clarify the screening process. The new release also includes new security feature. See attached topic status update form.
- Bulletin 16-68-09 Responding to Youth Who Run Away from Foster Care Practice Guide. This guide requires workers to complete designated tasks when a youth runs away from placement. This includes a 5-page report that needs to be scanned at attached in SSIS.
Issues/Concerns Regarding This Topic:
- Concerns about delays in licensing relative child foster care providers and impact on permanency. Federal regulations related to Northstar require children be in fully licensed homes for six months before a transfer of legal and physical custody can occur.
- Call for any legislative positions to be brought forward related to Child Wellbeing Area. Please contact Brenda Mahoney or Suzanne Arntson.
- MN’s Best Practice Guide for Responding to Prenatal Exposure to Substance Use
- Bulletin-Responding to Youth Who Run Away from Foster Care
- Best Practice Guide for Responding to Prenatal Exposure to Substance Use