SS Update - August 2017
Key Highlights This Month:
New SNAP E and T Bulletin to be released: DHS will release a bulletin by September 1 that will provide clarifications to common questions about Able Bodied Adults without Dependents and SNAP Employment and Training.
PolicyQuest: The PolicyQuest application to accept policy questions about cash, food support and child care assistance programs is being upgraded. DHS staff have consulted with MAFAS about the details.
APPLY MN Improvements: The application on APPLY MN now matches the Combined Application Form and Child Care Assistance Applications.
Information sessions about refugee and immigrant employment: The Refugee Program Office is sponsoring a training for employment services agencies and employers. US. Department of Justice Staff will explain the documentation requirements, discrimination laws, and resources for hiring immigrant workers. There will be a September 11th session in Saint Paul and a September 12th session in St. Cloud. To register: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/refugee-and-immigrant-worker-rights-tools-for-employment-service-providers-tickets-36206866713
Upcoming MFIP policy change: A year and a half from now, in December 2018, if a single parent receiving MFIP assistance marries, the new spouse’s income will not count against the MFIP benefit for 12 months. DHS has begun implementation planning.
Child Care Assistance Program/CCAP
- DHS has updated some public webpages, including content for the Child Care Assistance Program: https://mn.gov/dhs/partners-and-providers/program-overviews/child-care-and-early-education/
- Bulletin # 17-68-16 was released 7/24/17 Federal and State Changes to the Child Care Assistance Program - Overview
- The CY18 Basic Sliding Fee Child Care Allocation is now posted on CountyLink.
- An announcement for the County and Tribal Child Care Fund Plan https://edocs.dhs.state.mn.us/lfserver/Public/DHS-5107-ENG was sent to counties on July 28th, and again on August 9, 2017. The plan is due September 18, 2017.
- DHS – CCAP staff are hosting a videoconference on August 15, 2017 regarding completion of the County and Tribal Child Care Fund Plan. Several announcements were sent, including to directors, adminstiatrive contacts and client access contacts for each agency.
- A CCAP training memo was sent to each agency on August 9, 2017. It outline the various efforts planned for training local agency staff on all of the legislative changes occurring in 2017 and early 2018.
- Scott Lekan was appointed Commissioner of the U.S Department of Health and Human Services Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE).
- County representatives and DHS staff met on August 3rd for a review session regarding thethreshold for the Human Services Performance Measure of Child Support Paid. The group developed a recommendation but approval of that recommendation is forthcoming.
Requested Actions Needed From MACSSA:
The 2017 SNAP Position Statement will be brought back to MACSSA during the August meeting to be reapproved for 2018
The 2017 Child Care Position Statement will be brought back to MACSSA during the September meeting to be reapproved for 2018
New Trends in This Area:
Issues/Concerns Regarding This Topic: