Self-Sufficiency Update - January 2019
Key Highlights This Month:
Federal Shutdown Updates
In order to ensure that February SNAP benefits are disbursed, counties and tribes will need to process 32,000 SNAP cases statewide by January 15 so our EBT vendor will have time to process the data. This number includes:
- Monthly report forms
- Six-month report forms
- Pending applications to the extent possible.
Bipartisan TANF Funding Extension Introduced: Ways and Means Chairman Richard Neal (D-MA) and Ranking Member Kevin Brady (R-TX) introduced a bill (H.R. 430) reauthorizing the Temporary Assistance to Needy Families program (TANF) through June 30, 2019. The measure would resume quarterly payments affected by the partial government shutdown. The Child Care Entitlement to States and all associated programs would also be extended.
Ways and Means Committee staff indicate that the House is likely to adopt the bill early in the week of January 14th and send it to the Senate where it is expected to pass quickly. HHS has advised the Committee that it will take four business days from the date of enactment for the second quarterly payments to be sent to states.
TANF is funded through federal and state Maintenance of Effort dollars.
Child Care Assistance Program/CCAP
- DHS plans to revise MN Rules, Chapter 3400, Child Care Fund. For more information, visit https://mn.gov/dhs/partners-and-providers/news-initiatives-reports-workgroups/child-care-and-early-education/ccap-rule-rev.jsp. If you have questions or comments regarding rule revision, email dhs.CCAPrule@state.mn.us.
- DHS intends to move forward with first quarter reallocation in 2019. There is a CCAP Policy Manual Chapter with information about the process. See CCAP Manual 16.33 BSF First Quarter Reallocation.
- DHS CCAP is working with MFIP staff to implement a change in counting the income for new spouses that passed in the 2017 legislative session. This change was effective Dec. 1, 2018.
- A joint bulletin was published Nov. 20. See Bulletin #18-69-02 New Spouse Income Policy for Cash and Child Care Assistance Programs.
- MEC² Temporary System Guidance was posted to SIR on Dec. 3.
- DHS CCAP published updates to the CCAP Policy Manual focusing on new policy additions and chapters revised for clarity. See What’s New and Manuals > Child Care Assistance Program.
Requested Actions Needed From MACSSA:
New Trends in This Area:
Issues/Concerns Regarding This Topic:
See Bulletin #18-68-16 Child Care Assistance Program Asset limit for changes that took effect October 1, 2018.
See Bulletin #18-68-22 Child Care Assistance Program legal nonlicensed (LNL) provider requirements for changes that took effect October 1, 2018.
See Bulletin #18-69-02 New Spouse Income Policy for Cash and Child Care Assistance Programs for changes that took effect December 1, 208.
Contact(s): Barb Dahl, Brad Thiel